Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sacrilege

Old K's had a name change! But before I'm damned forever to Hell, let me justify:

1. "Kalitsah" is too long and confusing. Always misunderstood over vhf. Always confused with Calypso.

2. It's yet another of those oh so spiritual, oh so unique boat names that everyone seems these days to require. "What does it mean? Why, it's the ancient Pheonetian name for the Big Dipper; you know that constellation that points to the North Star?" Balls! Why a boat should dare to have so grandiose a namesake in the first place is beyond me.

3. I've only shortened it anyway, and that doesn't incur the usual name-changing bad luck (right?).

So there it is. Out with the old, in with the new; Kal, welcome to my life.

3 comments:

Editor said...

Congrats on the new name! A wise choice, especially given the trouble you surely face over the VHF.
I'm afraid you'll still have to explain it (is your name "Kal"?), but that's okay!

I do like your explanation and will be mentioning it on my BoatNameBlog

Editor said...

sorry, must have mis-typed link in last post. I wrote about "Kal" at:
www.BoatNameBlog.com

Thanks!

Warren said...

Tell the truth eh ,the rest of the stick on letters, were shaved off by an ocean liner that passed too close...