Saturday, November 25, 2006


Root cellar

“What boat could be complete without a root cellar”, exclaimed my friends Ian and Garry on Peter Pan, as they guided me through her exquisite interior. What indeed? Old Kalitsah had to have one.

Good storage for vegetables and fruit is fundamentally important to the liveaboard sailor. They must be stored in such a way that they may last unspoiled for as long as possible. By far the best solution is to have them hanging where air can circulate and where they don’t get bumped about with the motion of the boat. Easy to do, though in a small boat where an uncluttered cabin is desired, the options are somewhat lessened.

My solution has been to hang my fruit and vegetables in their hammocks as before, but now in their own cupboard out of sight and, advantageously, in the dark. The cupboard is low in the boat, for how otherwise could I hope to call it a cellar. This moderates the temperature, as it is influenced by that of the water, and lessens the motion of the boat in a sea. It is vented into the cabin, though I plan to increase the airflow through the cellar with a fan.

It is a neat solution, making good use of a space which had proved awkward for other stores, and keeping my desired sense of simplicity down below.


Here it is in its half finished state. Finished photos to follow when I can find my camera cord...


No comments: