Wednesday, April 05, 2006

That was close...

Two things of significance have happened to me recently. First, I have remembered my user name and password for my log, so can finally update the thing. Second was more serious. While camping and only a day before I was to move aboard Kalitsah, I burned both my hands badly enough to require a 'medivac' flight to Sydney and a couple of weeks of hospital treatment. I'll recover fully, perhaps with a little scaring and loss of pigment in my skin in the more severely burned areas. Far worse is that I am hindered in my plans to fit out the boat for sea. What a lamentable damned nuisance it all is!

Forced for the moment into idleness, I'm spending my time planning the details of my eventual escape. Foremost on my mind are the modifications I plan to make to Kalitsah. She's already sailed half way around the world, so I know she's good for it, but I intend none the less to make her safer, to bring her up to a standard where I'm as confident as I can be that she'll stay afloat. She'll also be my home for at least the next few years, so comfort, both at sea and at anchor, will be a strong motivation behind the changes I'll make.

I just wish I could get in and start!



It hasn't escaped me that the punishment I mentioned below may well have caught up with me already. Not to tempt fate, but it'll take worse for me to be resigned back to a desk job...


No comments: